Sunday, July 6, 2008

Carnival

Yesterday I got to experience an interesting town tradition, crowning of the carnival queen and princesses. Carnival is similar to a town fair, there is a parade, rides, and tons of food (their's isn't until next Saturday...) Each year there is a contest to select three girls to fill the post of queen, senior princess and junior princess. I'm not quite sure exactly what the age limits are on these post, but my cousin, who is 12 served the last year as the jr. princess. Yesterday, the old "court" and the new "court" gathered in the center of town for the crowning ceremony. The old court passed on the crows to the new court, then went out to all the shops on the high street asking them to post fliers for the carnival next weekend.

After I post this entry, I will try to figure out how to post photographs... the crowning was a sight to see!

No comments: